Cover Club Vol. 8: A Partnership with The Campaign for Southern Equality
This year has already held many challenges for the LGBTQ community and their allies, especially in the American South. In the face of discrimination and fear, it can be overwhelming to imagine holding space for love and joy. And yet, what a radical act it is to do so – to remember our shared humanity, to dream of a world not as it is but as it could be. Where truly, all members of a community are supported and accepted as they are. Here at Nugget, we’re imagining a world where y’all means all – and we invite you to join us!
This June, we’re partnering with the Campaign for Southern Equality, an Asheville, NC-based organization that is working to build a South where LGBTQ people are equal in every way of life. Our collaboration spans important topics, including tangible, real examples of how to build a more inclusive society in your own home community, from pronoun and language usage to representation through media and books. As a North-Carolina based company, we are so grateful for CSE’s education and leadership working for LGBTQ equality across the South, a region with immense potential to embrace inclusion and support over ignorance and division.
Announcing Cover Club Vol. 8
We are proud to support CSE through Cover Club Volume 8, running June 22nd-28th, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting CSE. The concept of Cover Club is simple: Nuggeteers enter a contest to win Nuggety prizes, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting non-profit organizations doing life-changing, hugely important work. Together, we’ve raised over half a million dollars for our non-profit partners, and we are setting our sights on the next big goal.
CSE’s Work: Rooted in Empathy and Equity
CSE’s work spans many topics, from healthcare worker training to legal aid. Their program offerings are extensive and have organically grown through time to support community needs. Some examples include:
- The Legal Equality Program works across the South to strike down anti-LGBTQ laws, promote pro-LGBTQ policies, and promote policies that support racial equity, economic justice and immigration reform. In the current political climate, CSE is part of rapid response organizing coalitions working on issues of LGBTQ rights, racial equity, immigration reform and health care access for all.
- The Community Health Program offers pop-up clinics, trainings and continued education to healthcare providers, and a Trans in the South Resource Guide that reaches thousands of trans folks across the region.
- CSE’s Southern Equality Fund (SEF) provides micro-grants and support to Southern LGBTQ folks organizing on a local level, with priority on work addressing the intersections of race, class and gender. Through SEF, CSE offers direct financial emergency assistance to children and families impacted by the pandemic and anti-transgender legislation.
- Southern Equality Studios provides a supportive forum for people to explore activism through advocacy and art.
Creating Inclusive Communities
The important and vital work of creating inclusive communities takes time, patience and dedication. There is much to celebrate, as the results of CSE’s persistence proves.
- The Southern Equality Fund has provided $500,000 in emergency grants, supporting thousands of families in paying for groceries, medication, childcare, and more.
- In courthouses and legislatures across the South, CSE’s Legal Equality Project shows up time and time again to fight for LGBTQ equality, from communicating with representatives to joining landmark litigation challenging anti-LGBTQ legislation.
- In 2021, after years of advocacy through CSE’s Supportive Schools initiative, the N.C. public school system agreed to changes that create a safer and more inclusive environment for transgender students.
Join us in supporting CSE’s incredible work! 100% of the proceeds from Cover Club will benefit their incredible work, and Nugget will contribute a $25,000 match to Cover Club entries.